E30 Cruise Q: iX related?

My beloved 91 iX with 54K and I took a trip to Michigan
over the weekend to deal with some family business. On
the way up on Sunday and the way back on Monday the
car would every so often do the following:

With cruise engaged at either 73 or 76, occasionally
the car would start to accelerate in a manner similar
to when you click resume after having to slow down
due to traffic. The acceleration would be very brief and
then it would go back to normal.  Throughout speed
stayed relatively constant at the set speed or close
to it. It happened maybe 20 times during the 900 mile
drive.

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Thanks
Dave