[E28] V8 conversion into 528e

> Secondly, 302's can spin.  Put some good roller rockers on it, pick the
> proper cam grind, add a lightened flywheel, quality headers, decent carb,
> and with the right heads on it, it'll hit 7000rpm all day long.

That's assuming a decently healthy and properly balanced bottom end, decent
heads, etc.  I wouldn't go spinning a factory-original 5-liter bottom end
anywhere near that fast.

>	 After doing a little work adding things up and making realistic
> guesstimates with the access I have to facilities and my connections to
> resources, the 302 conversion can be done reasonably well for $1500, or
> $2000 with all the fancy hi-po heads and parts.

That'd be about what I'd budget for brackets, air-conditioning hardware,
fuel-system plumbing, etc.  I'd think a realistic budget for a low-buck
conversion (used engine, no niceties like aluminum heads, Cobra intake,
etc.) might be $4K assuming you get all labor including welding, etc. for
free.

John.