E28 535i Heat problem HELP

Hello all,
I have been borrowing an 86 535i, and it has heat problems that I would like
to fix for the owner.  The car always blows cold air through the dash vents.
Heat will come out of the defrost and floor vents when the car is warm
though.
When car is all warmed up and you drive above 50 on the highway the car
blows cold air from all vents.  If driving under 50, some heat does come out
of the defrost and floor vents.
This is very strange to me.  It is also strange that there is no
recirculating
switch to press.  You always get fresh air.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.  Please respond back to my
personal address to avoid WOB.  Thanks

- -Alan
Alan Polo
The LongView Group