re: E28 535i Heat problem HELP

>I have been borrowing an 86 535i, and it has heat problems that I would like
>to fix for the owner.  The car always blows cold air through the dash vents.
>Heat will come out of the defrost and floor vents when the car is warm
>though.

That's the design, centre vents are not chanelled to the heater.

>When car is all warmed up and you drive above 50 on the highway the car
>blows cold air from all vents.  If driving under 50, some heat does come out
>of the defrost and floor vents.

Your heater control valve needs new innards. It's on the
firewall behind the intake manifold, it has two cooling
hoses and an electrical connector. Not a major but remember
to bleed the cooling system after (turn heater on and use
the bleed screw above the thermostat housing).

>This is very strange to me.  It is also strange that there is no
>recirculating switch to press.  You always get fresh air.

That's the way the older BMWs are, c'est la vie.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!