Re: e28 poltergiest...

>Hola from Ohio, remaining digesters!
>   Here's my current predicament:  Upon getting the e28/535i out of
>hibernation two days ago (couln't help it - the snow is gone...) I have
>experienced a high rpm "tick."  At around 5000rpm, I get an intermittent
>power
>loss (like the rev limiter is kicking in.)  It continues through a quick
>shift
>into 2nd, then quickly goes away.  I am not exctly sure yet, but it seems to
>happen when the tank is nearly empty (less than 30 miles, according to the
>range function on the OBC.)  Is fuel simply sloshing away from the sending
>unit in the tank, starving the engine in times of increased inertia?
>Hopefully, you guys can help solve this one!  Thanks again.

There could be a variety of problems, but it sounds like your in tank
fuel pump is dying or dead. When the fuel level drops too far at the fuel
pickup point and the prepump is not working the car will starve for fuel
becuase the main high pressure fuel pump has little in the way of suction
power.

Look in the trunk under the carpet. You will see a little round access
panel. Open. You will see the in tank pump and fuel sender. You can
usually see if it works at all by running car and listening, comparing
with power connecter removed, installed etc. They don't last forever and
will drive you crazy with less than 1/4 and accelerating hard.

Chris Guy - BMW535i86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp