Re: <E28> MAF, What is it?

>On behalf of all other E28 535 owners, What's a MAF?

Mass Air Flow sensor. It uses a heated platinum wire to measure the mass
of the air flowing past it (typ by holding temp constant [resistance] and
measuring current or vice versa) instead of a spring loaded flapper
hooked up to a potentiometer.

It is better due to the lower airflow restriction (typ).

It also has different response rates (faster? no overshoot/undershoot due
to inertia/friction of flapper?) and I guess theoretically measures mass
flow rate (what you want) vs dyn pressure of air in duct (varies slightly
with altitude? from mass rate).

>and what's the EW in EW/MAFed stand for?

Don't know.

>How much work is involved in the conversion?

Just have to physicially make it fit and redo the electronics to make it
compatible. Suppose you can insert a box that makes MAF look like flapper
(but remember ECU has factors for responses of flapper so some electronic
trickery is involved) or just reprogram the ECU to look at MAF (how many
Rolling Rocks does that take Jim C?).

Of course if you buy someones kit you install it in the inlet duct and
plug it in (and maybe do ECU chip too if that's their path)

My 83 Volvo has this new technology (as does my 86).

Chris Guy - BMW535o86@domain.elided
86 535i 5sp, 83 245DL 4sp+OD, 86 740GLE 4sp+OD