Re: General question on changing wheel bearings.

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Mark Estes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had a general question on changing wheel bearings. Is it
> generally required to change the races also? Sometimes, only
> when they are damaged,or always change the races.

Since you labeled it a "general" question, I'll answer "always".  The
races are really part of the bearing mechanism -- they do wear and a new
bearing with an old race will be sloppy.   I know, the races are a pain in
the butt to get out;  however, you don't have to worry about damaging the
old ones, since you're tossing them anyways.  This is one of those cases
where you need to get very confident with a hand sledge.  I've found that
once you get it moving, its not that bad (hand sledge coupled with an old
crapsman screwdriver that's the width of the slot inside the hub works
pretty well).  Use a suitable drift to get the new ones in (depending on
what I'm doing, I've found that exhaust-pipe reducers make excellent
drifts -- you can almost always find one that's the correct size).

Good luck.

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX