Re: E36 rear shock failures

From: "Christopher White" <cdwhite@domain.elided>

>Anybody have any further knowledge about this? The wife's 93 E36 is starting
>to make a lot of noise at the top of the right rear shock tower when driving
>on bumpy roads. Is this a shock failure or is it in the body side of the
>mount?

Hi Chris -

Probably your best bet is to just take a look at the shock mount.  All you
have to do is jack up the back of the car, and you should be able to see
the shock mount - you might have to remove the wheel, but I think you can
see the mount with the wheel still on.  Make sure that the rubber part is
still bonded to the steel bushing that the rod of the shock attachs to.  If
the rubber is cracked or torn, or separated from the steel bushing, then
it's time to replace the mount.

Hope this helps,

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided