E36 rear shock failures

Anybody have any further knowledge about this? The wife's 93 E36 is starting
to make a lot of noise at the top of the right rear shock tower when driving
on bumpy roads. Is this a shock failure or is it in the body side of the
mount?
(Since my 944 turbo is at the paint shop I have time to tinker with the BMW
now)
Thanks in advance and please send or cc answers direct, the list can be
pretty damn long!!
Chris White
PS - Adding the limited slip to the 318 made it one hell of a snow & ice
machine.