Track & Insurance

>From: "Jason McCowan" <JMCCOWAN@domain.elided>
>Subject: insurance & seattime
>
>All this talk about insurance and drivers' schools has got me thinking..
>I'm insured with USAA and I'm pretty sure that I'm fine running FATT's and
>BMW schools, but I was planning on running seattime (no instructors, just
>track time) next season..  I guess I would be SOL if something were to
>happen while running at a seattime since it can be viewed as "preparing for
>a race", am I right?

Jason,

READ YOUR POLICY.  No matter what anyone tells you over the phone, the
language in the policy is going to govern your coverages.  Look for the
following buzzwords:

"Off Road"  = Racetrack
"Competitive Event" = Autocross or Racing
"Speed Contests" = Racing against the clock, or another car (this is why
stopwatched are forbidden at Drivers Schools)

Look for the exclusionary language. Unless it specifically excludes an event
usage, you are usually good to go.

BTW, buddy of mine crashed his car during a time trial at a track and he was
with USAA.  They paid the claim, although the language of the incident was
modified to call it a Drivers School instead of a time trial.

Duane Collie