Re: Digest "crisis"?

Matthew Yip wrote:

> However, if Richard HAD been monitoring the Digest, this little crisis
> would have been averted.  Considering the lack of response to the
> aforementioned subject, it's apparent that Richard either isn't
> monitoring the Digest or he has lost interest.

Matthew,

As one who has run a BBS, I can tell you censoring (which is the form of
"monitoring" you're suggesting) is really a thankless and time-consuming
job. I don't think Mr. Welty has ever said he *will* censor the digest,
just that he reserves the right. Being as this is a private list, the
call is completely Mr. Welty's.

If one disagrees with Mr. Welty's stewardship of the list, it is easy
enough to unsub and find a list more to his/hers liking, or even start
one of his/her own. It's called free choice, and all-in-all, I think it
works pretty well. I much prefer it to alternatives other countries have
tried.

IMHO, you use the word "crisis" a bit loosely. Certainly, all is not
well in digest-land, but what we're experiencing here is simply "Life".
All things are cyclical: we're seeing the dark side now, but soon enough
the sun will shine again.

I hope you and others stick around for the good times.

- -jerry

End of bmw-digest V9 #905