BMW 750/850 reliability?

Hello everybody,
        I am new to the list.  I am looking into buying a car later
(planning on spending $10K-$13K) this year.  I am currently in the
process of deciding which one I am really interested in before test
driving a whole bunch of them.
        I am thinking about a 1989-1990 BMW 740/750 or 840/850.  My
biggest question concerns the V12 engine.  Is it reliable, and how
expensive is the maintenance/parts compared to the V8?  I do plan on
performing some maintenance myself, but leaving major work to the
dealer.
        Also, are there any shortcomings with these models or common
complaints?  How sporty are they?  I know they are designed more for
luxury than the 3-series and 5-series, but I like to get some fun out of
my cars as well.
        My current commute to work is ~60 miles a day, about half of
which is Highway, half 2-lane curvy road.  I know these models have a
decent amount of power, but how well (or poorly) do they corner and pass
other cars?
        Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate all the input I
can get.

        Tom Moss