[none]

>Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:20:04 -0500
>From: "C. Craig Eller" <cceller@domain.elided>
>Subject: Insurance Games
>
>One concerned digester wrote concerning his new State Farm insurance:
>
>'' THERE IS NO COVERAGE WHILE  VEHICLE IS OPERATED IN, ENGAGED IN
>PRACTICE FOR, OR IS BEING PREPARED FOR ANY RACING OR SPEED CONTEST. THIS
>APPLIES WHILE THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED OFF PUBLIC ROADS ''
>
>I agree with Matthew and others that reaffirm that BMW CCA drivers
>schools are not practice for any racing or speed contest, but are
>driver's education schools.   However, I've seen more than one
>definition twisted in a courtroom and this new trend concerns me a bit.
>Seems that insurance companies love to take your money and really hate
>to give any of it back for a legitimate claim.

This is the point of the whole discussion, isn't it? Once the policy is
modified, there's a possibility that it is no longer a legitimate claim...

>I think I'm going to have a look at our driver's school applications and
>maybe add some exculpatory language such as "this is a driver's
>education school and is not practice for any racing or speed contest."

If you really want to do something that will have an impact, see if you can
find out what it would take to convince a few of the major carriers that
driving schools are a good thing, and are definitely not a speed contest
...maybe an effort by the CCA national board?

>Seems silly, but as long as insurance companies keep playing games,
>we'll have to struggle to keep up.  Of course, there's always the
>patented DuaneGerous "disappearing deer on the road to the track" method
><grin>.

Seems fraudulent, but as long as insureds keep advocating this kind of
nonsense, the insurance companies will keep on raising rates, and not
trusting their clients

>Hopefully, this was one of the issues addressed at the recent driving
>events coordinators congress.

I'm in complete agreement there!

Regards,

Mike Capaldo
CCA # 114323
'97 528i 5 speed, with every option known to man
'96 454 Suburban ( 390 ft lbs of torque - same as the new M5!); looking for
something to tow
'98 Chrysler Sebring Convert - STILL waiting for them to send me my three
pointed star, now that the merger's reality
'92 Golden Retriever - the Sedan de Ville of dogs