Re: bmw-digest V9 #880

I promise to hold back on the marine-life jokes.

There is a steel panel in the middle of the rear seat where the ski-bag would go.
Its not structural, and its held in with four little spot welds. It's there to
keep the noise level down. You can literally remove it with a good kick, and it
will give you a pass-through roughly equivalent to the cone area of a 15" woofer.
This should be big enough for the bass to swim through. (OK, so i lied. Impeach
me.)

Best regards,
Bob Hazelwood
VP Product Management, a/d/s/
'93 525i 5-sp. Sharked, BL/ss'd, H&R + Bilsteins
BMW CCA (Boston)

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:47:51 -0500
> From: "Will and Char deBurger" <wilnchar@domain.elided>
> Subject: E30 - trunk sealed too tight for bass - what to cut?
>
> Hi all!
> A while back I recall someone who said that they had "been there, done that"
> for getting bass out of an E30 trunk.  If I could remember who it was, I
> would have emailed directly.  Anyway my question:  I assume you have to let
> the trunk breathe into the passenger compartment, but how do you determine
> how big of a hole (or many smaller holes) you need.  Is it simply taking the
> area of the driver and relating that to the size of hole to cut.  Also, is
> it better to vent through the parcel shelf or behind the seat.  I have a 15"
> MTX in there currently that fires towards the rear, in a sealed box (as per
> manufacturers specs).  My only concern is structural rigidity.  I will not
> cut any thing if the cars handling will suffer.  (I fell in love with the
> car first, then the idea of better tunes!)
>
> Thanks
> Will
> 90 325i (off the road for winter, and time for adding stuff)
> BMW CCC member

End of bmw-digest V9 #885