Re: bmw-digest V9 #880

In a message dated 1/21/99 2:11:22 PM Pacific Standard Time, owner-bmw-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> Hi all!
>  A while back I recall someone who said that they had "been there, done
that"
>  for getting bass out of an E30 trunk.  If I could remember who it was, I
>  would have emailed directly.  Anyway my question:  I assume you have to let
>  the trunk breathe into the passenger compartment, but how do you determine
>  how big of a hole (or many smaller holes) you need.  Is it simply taking
the
>  area of the driver and relating that to the size of hole to cut.  Also, is
>  it better to vent through the parcel shelf or behind the seat.  I have a
15"
>  MTX in there currently that fires towards the rear, in a sealed box (as per
>  manufacturers specs).  My only concern is structural rigidity.  I will not
>  cut any thing if the cars handling will suffer.  (I fell in love with the
>  car first, then the idea of better tunes!)

On my 89 M3, there is a hole in the bulkhead behind the rear seats that you
can punch out.  It is pre cut I presume for a ski passthrough.  I am going to
do the same thing to my newly acquired 88 M3 but I will probably put a rear
shock tower brace in as well to counteract any loss of rigidity (if there is
any).  You can put a sub there and it will probably fire into the passenger
cabin...

Rob