Re: M5 Shimmy

> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:36:20 -0600
> From: Skopp@domain.elided
> Subject: M5 Shimmy
>
> - --Is a thrust arm also known as a control arm?  Is >there an
upgrade option?
> Is upgrading necessary? Are the thrust arms/controls >for an M5 the
same for those for other E28s?

Yes, but on the E28 in particular, since the units are separate, it's
called a thrust rod or thrust arm.  I don't know of any upgrades.
They are the same unit as on all E28s.

> - --Is a centerlink also known a s a tie rod center? >Is there an
upgrade option?  Is upgrading necessary? >Are the thrust arms/controls
for an M5 the same for those for other E28s?

Yes and no. I don't see a need to upgrade.  The thrust arms are
standard E28

> - --Isn't there a commonly accepted bushing upgrade >for the E28?  I
have heard conflicting reports of >using the liquid bushing from the
750 versus using
> them from the 850?  Anyone have experience with >either of these
upgrades?

Don't know about the 850 bushings.  I purchased narrowed rubber 750
bushings from Steve D @ the Ultimate Garage - good prices!  Standard
750 bushings are too wide so you'll have to either purchased narrowed
ones or have the OE ones machined.  I've heard that the liquid bushing
gives a softer ride which I don't want.

> - --What is the difference between a thrust arm > bushing and an
idler bushing?
> If they differ, should I purchase an idler bushing as > well?

There is a difference (besides one being on a thrust arm and one being
on an idler shaft).  The bushing sizes are radically different and
their purposes are very different as well.  Purchase a new idler arm
(or buy my extra), I don't think anyone makes an idler bushing
replacement.

> - --Any other differences between the standard E28 > front end
shimmy fix and the fix for an M5?

Nope - the M5 has more "problems" because of the fact that they use a
wider, heavier wheel/tire combo that wears the components faster and
also makes them more susceptible to the infamous shimmy.

> - --Any recommendations for where to purchase?

Have you considered the folks that advertise on the Digest?  I've
almost exclusively purchased thru the dealer, albeit not at a standard
discount.

> - --What should I reasonably expect by way of labor > time for this
job?

Dunno - sorry.
==
Matthew Yip