e34: 525 vs. 535

I have both e34s, a 93 525 and a 89 535, for over five years.  Both cars are
enormous fun.

The 525 is an auto and very reliable.  Off the line it's a little needy, but
even with stock suspension and rubber,  it handles well.  This year has VANOS
(you might want to check whether 91 actually did--I thought it was later) and
the torque (what there is of it) is pretty well distributed over the band.

The 535 is a 5-speed and was a replacement for a 944. perhaps because of its
age or early model year, it needs more attention: I've replaced some of the
front end suspension, oil pan  (leak), and a few AC parts over the last year;
it still has a coolant leak which will require a head job.  Some stuff, like
the control arm bushings, guibo (flex joint), and hoses needed replacement
simply because of age.  The good side:  The 3.5 has a lot more oomph, esp. at
the high end of the torque curve.  This oomph seems to ask for upgrades along
the lines of suspension, brakes, wheels, chip, etc, which I answered.  Result:
Lots o' fun.

Good luck; you'll likely enjoy either choice.

Blake
89 535 i(s) w/stuff
93 525 i