re: eRAM going to NJ or some cone ficking (Video offer at cost)

Mark Kibort uh... >>>>>>>wrote?
> com'mon, I agree, it is tought, but it is tougher on your transmission an=
> clutches.
> You have one shot, maybe two a day, at 1:10 SECOND A LAP.  SAY YOU =
>
> DO AN AUTOCROSS 12 TIMES A YEAR, THATS  22 MINUTES OF DRIVING =
>
> A YEAR.  WOW, THATS A TON OF SEAT TIME.

OK, auto-x can be tougher on some components than road racing, but
clutches and transmissions? If you want to talk shock mounts, bushings,
etc., then you may have a point. Still, there's no comparing the
maintenance needed for a season of track usage as opposed to a season of
autocross. I spent more on brakes and rotors for 5 track days last year
than the tires and sway bar link I used up while autocrossing for the
last two years (15-20 events a year).

Although you got the format wrong - it's more like 3-4 45 second runs
per day - it's true that seat time is limited. That's not a valid
comparison though. Because autocross demands that you find a line
through ten or so turns on an unknown course, it really builds mental
skills and car control in a way that track driving can't. What's so hard
about negotiating a 3000 foot straight at 130 mph? What's hard is
stringing together 10 or so turns on a course that you've never driven.
Finding those lines through an intuitive understanding of where your car
wants to run as opposed to where you know "the line" is develops the
ability to compete on an unfamiliar race track the first time you run on
it. Do you normally require just three laps to get your fastest time at
a new track? Maybe autocross could help you in that respect. It's not
seat time, is the mental gymnastics of instantly putting the car exactly
where it belongs the first time you're on the course.

> DONT GET ME WRONG, AUTOCROSSING IS GREAT , BECAUSE ITS RACING
> AGAINST THE CLOCK, AND YOURSELVES, BUT i JUST PREFER THE DANGER
> AND THRILL OF DOING ALL THAT AT OVER 135 MPH  AT TIMES.   GO TAKE AN OFF
> RAMP AT 130 SOMETIME,  TRAIL BRAKE, TAKE THE LINE , SLOWLY PUSH BACK ON T=
> HE
>
> GAS, NOW THAT IS EXCITEMENT.

And track driving is great too. So is club racing or SCCA racing. They
develop different skills though. I don't think for a minute that because
my lap times at drivers' schools are faster than some of the slower club
racers that in an actual race I wouldn't be the slowest car out there by
a good margin. But don't think that autocross skills can't make you a
better racer either - that's exciting too.

> ng
> cones
> I have tons of respect for the guys at the autocrosses.  Its just most of=
>
> them would rather be =
>
> on a road course, am I right.

No, you're wrong. Many top autocrossers are bored to death on a road
course. The same course over and over? Hah! All that time going straight
between corners - BORING!! A nice line laid out in rubber and pavement
changes that every rookie can plainly see - too simple!

> What car would you rather drive=
>
> in , the guy with 100 hours of seat time at =
>
> all the major road courses, or a parking lot racer with 2 hous of seat ti=
> me
> for 5 years of experience?????? =

I didn't attend M day, so I missed the opportunity to drive with the
likes of Stuck, Auberlin, etc. However, to this day the best driver I've
ever ridden with is former national champion auto-xer Brian Priebe
(sp?). This guy jumps in my car (which he's never driven) and buries my
time hanging the car completely on the edge while being exceptionally
smooth at the same time... AWESOME! There are so many things in
autocross that require unsettling the car in a way that would kill you
at the track. Smoothly controlling and recovering from these *almost*
out-of-control moments is something that is a marvel to watch when it's
done well. And all this on a totally unfamiliar course!

In terms of real world driving, I think autocross builds better street
drivers. Being out of control for a moment when you hit a patch of ice
at 45 mph is much more like autocross than negotiating turn 4 at Summit
Point. Track driving makes great track drivers. It's really apples and
oranges, but I'd feel just as safe with the autocrosser if not more so.

Anyway, most (although not all) autocrossers enjoy track driving as
well. I know Duane happens to love it. I get a thrill from it every
time. Just don't think that autocross can't be just as demanding in
terms of car control. As far as rapid fire balancing of the forces
acting on your car, it's actually more demanding. You want to become a
better racer - try autocross.
- --
Ron Katona