Re: E30-wiper assembly

I feel your pain, Tom.  I used to have a E30 318i ('85) that had the
wiper linkage ball joint wear and come off, locking the wiper motor (and
resulting in smoke and the smell of something burning).  The wiper motor
was trying to park itself, but couldn't because it was locked and the
fuse didn't blow.  I was able to stop quickly and remove the fuse and
save the wiper motor.

Replacing that linkage is a b!tch!!  I have no idea how the factory
installed it, but you must have supernatural powers of be double-jointed
with miniature hands to get it out.  I gave up and bought just the
replacement linkage arm and replaced that with the wiper assembly in
place.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but don't feel bad if you
find it difficult to do.  It's just a stupid BMW design (and don't get
me started on clutch master cylinders or brake proportioning valves ;)

Luis Marques
'97 328i

P.S.  I think the wiper assembly was revised somewhere around '88 to
have some sort of rubber dust boots to protect all the ball joints in
the linkage.