Re: Subject: E30-wiper assembly

>I am replacing a broken windshield wiper assembly on my 1985 E30.  Same
>part in all E30s.

>I need some help with the re-installation of the wiper assembly.  Does
>not seem to be sufficient clearance to re-install the assembly. Per the
>E30 Bentley repair manual, have removed the blower motor and the upper
.portion of the plastic blower motor housing which is held on by four
>metal clips. Can't figure out how to remove the lower blower motor
>plastic housing which is in the way to re-install the wiper motor
>assembly.

>Can this be done with out removing the lower blower motor housing?  I was
>able to get the assembly out, but with much difficulty.  Reviewed the
>various FAQs on intermittent wiper motor operations, which requires
>removal of the motor.  Appears you must remove entire assembly to get to
>the wiper motor, so removal and installation of wiper assembly appears to
>be a common procedure.

Replacing the wiper-assembly is indeed a real PITA on E30. I managed to do
it without removing the lower blower motor-housing, but you'll have to
untighten the nuts/bolts which hold these parts in place as far as possible.
You are now able to pull down the housing to free enough space for the
wiper-assembly. Stills doesn't go easy though. Not easy att all. And i
advise you to not try this alone, but get some pair of hands to help.
Another thing to look over is the direction the wiper-assembly is inserted.
first get the left (drivers-side) in and then the other. Maybe you'll have
to play a bit with the elec. to get the arms of the wiper in the right
position. When not in the right position it's as good as impossible to get
it in...

Good luck,
MaZe '86 320i 272kKm