<E30> M3 ABS warning light - SOLUTION!

Thanks to everybody who wrote in with suggestions for the ABS light.
Interestingly, the answer may help others with a light which only comes on
at freeway speeds or above. In short, my problem turned out to be a front
wheel which was out of true, causing the wheel to wobble (vibrate side to
side slightly) starting at around 50 mph. Apparently, this slight wobble was
enough to cause an intermittent loss of sensor reading of the hub teeth,
leading to the light coming on. Replacing the front wheel with another one
which was straight and balanced solved the problem. I felt the vibration
through the steering wheel, so I knew there was a problem with the wheel and
figured this might be the root of the sensor problem.

I recently bought these wheels from another digest member who didn't know
there was a problem with them. We're now trying to figure out how to settle
up the score. The problem is that we don't know who manufactured the wheels
to get replacements. There's no designation on them other than that they
were made in Japan and they are 16x7.5 chrome rims. Since there's obviously
a wealth of informed wheel buyers on the Digest, I have posted some jpegs of
the wheels on my website at the following URL:

http://heart.chmcc.org/~website/Mark/wheels.html

Any ideas about the origin of these rims, where to get another pair, or if
somebody would like to have the two straight (and two bent) ones I have,
would be much appreciated.

Mark

Mark Sussman, Ph.D.
The Childrens Research Foundation
Division of Molecular Cardiovascular Biology
Cincinnati, OH  45229-3039

Visit our website at: http://heart.chmcc.org