Re: <E36> OBC says"brake light circuit" BA

>From: "S. Cooperman" <bullseye@domain.elided>
>Subject: <all> OBC says"brake light circuit"
>
>When driving home tonight, the OBC warned "brake light circuit" along
>with the "check" light on the dash.  I figured that I popped a brake
>light and would replace it tomorrow.  After getting home, we checked
the
>brake lights and found both sides were lit.  After turning off the
>engine and then restarting it later, there was no fault noted.  Do I
>have an intermittent brake light, or something else going bad?
>
>Steve Cooperman

Steve, your owners manual will tell you that brake light bulb failure
means you have a light out.  Brake light circuit failure, on the other
hand, means there is a failure in the circuit itself.  This subject is
posted here weekly. If your brake lights work, then the failure is in
the check circuit of the brake light switch and it should be replaced.
There was a recall on this, 61 08 96 which, if it has not already been
done, entitles you to a new brake light switch

In future please identify the model in your subject line. I, and many
others, will usually ignore posts that do not immediately identify the
model.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you