Re: <e28> ?Fuse box junior? BA

>From: Eric Rayl <ericrayl@domain.elided>
>Subject: <e28> ?Fuse box junior?
>
>There's a baby bear size fuse box with a transparent top just to the
engine
>side of the pappa bear fuse box.  Mine has a 25 amp fuse on the green
wire
>side which apparently goes nowhere, and no fuse on the red wire side
which
>apparently goes somewhere.  The baby box is in about 6 pictures in the
>Bentley electrical section and never identified as far as I can tell.
TIA
>for a mystery solved.
>
>Eric Rayl
>'87 535is

Sometime in the mid eighties, BMW became aware of just how stupid
aftermarket accessory installers really are.   Phone installers
especially, were running wires out of the fuse box   and simply slamming
the fuse box lid down on them.  This risked damage to the wire, and a
possible short could occur inside the fuse box if the wire was cut, and
it also eliminated the sealing effect of the tight fitting lid, allowing
water to be splashed into the fuse box.
The fix was to install an accessory fuse box.  The fuse box you are
looking at has one full time power wire and one accessory power wire
running into the fuses and nothing coming out, unless something has been
installed in the car.  E30's got 4 blade fuse positions in their
auxiliary fuse box.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you