<E28>Splice an ABS Sensor?

Well, in this freezing Michigan weather, my wife's 535 came home sitting on its wheels because her left front strut shock had frozen up. Thawing out the strut released the shock and the car srung back. Attempting to fix the strut I succeeded in breaking off the ABS sensor because I only pryed it from the back and didn't try to push it from the front of the wheel. DOH!

I'm looking for a used sensor at the moment. My inclination is that one should not splice the sensor into the old wires. Is it ill advised to splice the sensor or should I find one with a complete wiring harness?

Don, Okemos, MI S6R #46 '75 3.0Si;
BMW CCA #77764 '85 535i; '86 535i;