<E30>Strange noise from steering column?

On my 90 325iC I hear a kind of humming noise when I turn the steering
wheel at low speeds.  When the wheel is turned to the right about 10
degrees, the noise occurs when the wheel is turned back to its "straight
ahead" position. The noise only lasts less than one second but is
noticeable and annoying.  It sounds like it is coming from the steering
column just under the steering wheel, but who knows, maybe the sound is
traveling up the column?  Anyone ever have this problem.  If so, any
recommendations on a cure.  Can it be lubed or is this a sign of a more
costly problem?

Thanks,

Mark Colasante
Columbus, OH