Re: <E30>Strange noise from steering column?

> Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:39:17 -0500
> From: Mark Colasante <mcola@domain.elided>
> Subject: <E30>Strange noise from steering column?
>
> On my 90 325iC I hear a kind of humming noise when I turn the steering
> wheel at low speeds.  When the wheel is turned to the right about 10
> degrees, the noise occurs when the wheel is turned back to its "straight
> ahead" position. The noise only lasts less than one second but is
> noticeable and annoying.  It sounds like it is coming from the steering
> column just under the steering wheel, but who knows, maybe the sound is
> traveling up the column?  Anyone ever have this problem.  If so, any
> recommendations on a cure.  Can it be lubed or is this a sign of a more
> costly problem?

Mark,

This sounds exactly like my steering pump when I run out of steering fluid!. If you are losing fluid, then the repair can be cheap or very expensive.  In my case
I'm losing fluid because of a leaky rack which is expensive to replace.   You might have a leaky hose--a much cheaper problem.  I looked at my bad rack as an oportunity to upgrade to an E36 M3 rack so its not all bad if you have an extra $500 lying around.

- -Kurt