re: The ROB KNOB *test*

Duane wrote:
> Hey!  Guess what came in the mail today....a GEN-U-INE, real live USA-made
> ROB KNOB of titanium, no less.  Ben sent me the first one off the UUC
> Motorwerks production line for a trial evaluation and input. Being at the
> office, I can't put it on the 316tds until later - but initial thoughts are:
>
> * Mai Gawd...this thing is H-E-A-V-Y. [...]

Yeah, it is! I got mine a few days ago (Thanks Rob and Ben) and
installed it Saturday. I have the aluminum version, but it's still quite
a chunk of metal. Yes, it's very nicely machined. All the theories about
the added mass smoothing out the shift feel is right on. The biggest
difference you'll notice right away is moving the shifter side to side
in neutral. It swings smoothly like a pendulum rather than a twig at the
end of a big spring.

All that mass does not seem to slow down the shifting when you're going
into gear though. It's not so heavy that it feels cumbersome. I'd say
they got the weighting just about perfect. I've installed a Z3 1.9
shifter (similar to BL/SS level II) in my 318ti and the combination of
this and the Rob Knob is outstanding. I'm looking forward to some
serious driving at the track with this combo.
- --
Ron Katona