The ROB KNOB *test*

Hey!  Guess what came in the mail today....a GEN-U-INE, real live USA-made
ROB KNOB of titanium, no less.  Ben sent me the first one off the UUC
Motorwerks production line for a trial evaluation and input. Being at the
office, I can't put it on the 316tds until later - but initial thoughts are:

* Mai Gawd...this thing is H-E-A-V-Y.  Weighed in on the postal scale at
14.9 ounces.  Now that doesn't seem like much, but its heavier than a full
12oz. can of Coke (13.5 oz.). I'm guessing its easily gotta be three times
heavier than my old AC Schnitzer "Cindy Crawford" trailer-hitch knob.  This
could be a weapon when walking around in seedy neighborhoods ("Remove and
carry your titanium ROB KNOB for self-defense late at night - optional
concealed tear gas module in prototype development").   I wouldn't want one
of these sailing accross the room aimed at MY head.  Could this be as heavy
as lead?

* Beautifully turned and finished.  Much nicer in real life than the photos
at: www.shortshifter.com

I have a small aluminum knob on the ACS kit right now that was made by
Mario Langsten.  It's very light and very diminutive. The ACS kit is tight
shifting and can balk on the 2-3 shift especially in a track environment
like Turn 2 at Summit Point.  I'll be most interested to see how the ROB
KNOB changes the shifting feel of the ACS unit and if it eases the shift
transitions due to its mass and weight. I hope it does as I sometimes can't
get a clean shift when going 10/10's 'round the corners. Will report back
here once I've tested it out.

BTW, for you cynics in Digestland I have ZERO financial interest in this
project and will return the knob back to Ben when done....or buy it
outright if it does what I think (and hope) it will do.

Duane Collie
UUC Test Engineer Extraodinare
BFKAB