re: E30 M3 won't start

>Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:44:07 -0500
>From: Mike Olsen <molsen3@domain.elided>
>Subject: E30 M3 won't start
>Mike wrote:
>You've all probably heard this before, but any quick tips would be
>greatly
>appreciated:

>'88 M3 ran fine Sunday.  Monday morning sounded like 2 cylinders ran
>for a
>few seconds, then it died.  Now you can crank forever and no attempt
>catch by the engine.  I thought maybe frozen water in the fuel, but I
>warmed the car underside with lightbulbs (no heat in the garage) and
>14
>hours later it turns over easier but still won't even try to catch.  >I
>think I can smell some fuel after I crank for a bit so I'm leaning
>toward
>spark problems.

>Any thoughts beyond checking for spark at the coil, plug wires, and
>plugs?
>Tests for fuel flow?  Seems strange that it ran fine the day >before...

>Carless (she drives the 325i),

>Mike Olsen
>'88 M3
>'88 325iC
>#153374

Mike,
I couldn't help thinking about those light bulbs under your car for 14
hours and the possibility of fuel dripping on them and igniting.  As a
Registered Nurse, I've worked in the Burn Unit at UC-Davis Medical
Center - YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THERE!  BE CAREFUL!  Perhaps instead of
signing "carless" , you should've signed "careless".

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e
'90 Chevy Silverado