re: E36 Cabin air microfilter - Delete it?

>On my 1992 325i, I have found the cabin air microfilter to be a hassle to
>change out, and I am contemplating just removing the dirty filter next time
>and not replacing the element.  Considering all the other cars I've had
>over the years have done just fine with unfiltered air in the passenger
>cabin, is there any drawback to leaving out the filter element from the
>system.

I used to think the same way until recently. A UK article on
pollution featured a chap with some kind of particulate meter.
Standing on the street it read 100%. In a stationary car in
traffic it read 300% with the fan on setting 1. On a motorway
it was also around 300 until they went right behind a large
lorry when it jumped to 800!

Basically car occupants get more pollutants than
pedestrains. In the closing section the journalist drove up
in his 528i "of cource this doesn't affect me, I drive a BMW
with a microfilter". A point worth pondering.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Aberdeen, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!