re: E36 Cabin air microfilter - Delete it?

Dave,

This last summmer during the record heat spell we were having in the
Southeast, I removed my microfilter to increase the air flow in the car.
This dramatically increased the airflow, such much that I rarely use over
the 3 position for cooling or heating.  It reduces cabin noise and lets you
listen to the purr of your engine much better at a reduced fan setting.

No ill side effects yet for me or the car.

>Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:42:19 -0600
>From: david.j.letsche@domain.elided
>Subject: E36 Cabin air microfilter - Delete it?
>
>Digesters,
>
>On my 1992 325i, I have found the cabin air microfilter to be a hassle to
>change out, and I am contemplating just removing the dirty filter next time
>and not replacing the element.  Considering all the other cars I've had
>over the years have done just fine with unfiltered air in the passenger
>cabin, is there any drawback to leaving out the filter element from the
>system?  (I don't have allergies and can handle an increase in ambient dust
>accumulation if it occurs.)  One independent BMW technician I asked
>casually said he thought the change in airflow could confuse the HVAC
>system or affect blower fan life, but both of those seem off-the-wall to
>me.
>
>What does this esteemed group think?  Thanks,
>
>Dave

Kevin Lee
Vulcan Industries
(205) 640-2433