Sad move, BMW

At 10:37 AM 1/8/99 -0500, Robert Steele wrote:

(snip)
>My 1971 Ford Maverick, totally striped and bottom of the line model which
I got used in 1979, originally cost $2,200.  That would be $9,068 today.
>A bottom of the line Escort is now $12,000 and the bottom of the line
Contour is $15,000. See  http://kbb.com/
(snip)

Add 2 times about $1200 for mandatory airbags and your Ford Maverick would
cost about $11,468 today. That's pretty close to the Escort, isn't it? Does
the Escort have airconditioning?

Re the list of features that you like - most of them I don't need, but I
like my ABS a lot. It's nice in the rain and terrific on ice.

Michiel

Robert's complete post:
>I agree with only 50% of what was said, but I wanted to illuminate the
price issue.
>$3500 in January 1971 is $14,425 in November, 1998, so the post was quite
correct. (Don, I believe.)  See the Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer
Price Index; I used all urban consumers, but there are others.
http://stats.bls.gov/top20.html
>I think $3500 may be too low for a 2002 then and would guess closer to
$4,000, but the basic point is correct.
>My 1971 Ford Maverick, totally striped and bottom of the line model which
I got used in 1979, originally cost $2,200.  That would be $9,068 today.
>A bottom of the line Escort is now $12,000 and the bottom of the line
Contour is $15,000. See  http://kbb.com/

>On the other issues I disagree a bit.  I want electric seats, windows and
doors. ABS, too. Yes, they are nice and maybe even luxurious. but have
other benefits.
>Electric seats are far more adjustable.  I can move up a quarter of an
inch, not the 1 or 2 inch increment in manual seats.  Better driving
position, especially for long drives or the track is more than just luxury.
 Also, now that the 3 series finally has memory, multiple drivers or with
and without helmet positions can be stored.
>Electric windows.  With small children, I like being able to control their
windows.  And, yes, they are great at toll booths in Winter!
>Electric doors-- also great with children.  One button on my Clifford
alarm unlocks all doors and helps me get the kids in.  A real plus.  One
button locks everything on the way out and also double locks.  That may
save my car from a thief.
>ABS -- when you get four brake pedals and can brake as fast as the ABS
pumps give me a call!  Until then, I really like my ABS.
>Otherwise, I agree.  Like I said, about 50%
>Rob
>'97 328i and lots of electronics
>'94 325i; a few less electronics
>'89 Acura Legend;  lots of stuff, too
>'84 Toyota Celica GTS;  less stuff, but fun to drive
>'71 Ford Maverick; no nothin' not even hear!
>Luxury luxury luxury....
>>
>>Millions of us do not care about luxury.  We don't need heated seats, our
>arms and fingers work fine; we don't need mechanical assistance opening
the >windows, sunroof, adjusting the seat, or locking the door.   We don't
need >ABS, we don't need traction control, we don't need a trip computer or
GPS. >(What's wrong with maps?)