Winter Wiper Woes

I have had an ongoing problem with my wipers. If the wipers are running but
there is only a bit of snow or rain on the windshield they will jerk and
sometimes freeze. What usually happens is that the wiper comes half
detached from the arm and I have to get out of the car and put it back on.
Not a big deal just an inconvenience I though but last night I lost a wiper
and started to wonder what would happen if this happened on a major highway.

I have tried cleaning the windshield with BonAmi but it did not seem to
help. My first though is that the wiper motor is bad but the fact that it
has enough force to pull the arm off the blade makes me question this.

Any ideas?

Dave Larocque
'87 325 No radio, Bad wipers... Damn this things only 13 years old and it's
already broken.

End of bmw-digest V9 #824