<general> RE71 comparables: P6000, AVSi, A509 -- experiences?

On our '98 323iC I have an order in already for a set of 205/60-15 RE71's
replacing the all-season Michelin Energy MXV4's, but being suspicious about the
lengthening delivery quotes on these back-ordered tires did some research today
on RE71s.  It turns out that according to a very helpful individual at
Bridgestone/Firestone's Tech Services number (1-800-847-3272) this size RE71
hasn't been on the Bridgestone product list since 2Q94!!!  Inventory has run
out universally now; Tire Rack doesn't know when they'd be delivered and some
Bridgestone retailers locally say they aren't being made anymore.  Other RE71
sizes are still being made.

So I'm looking for another tire as similar as possible to the RE71 in the same
size.  Very good (not ultimate) dry traction, very good steering response, safe
in wet conditions, and snow performace is a dont-care.  Low price is a bonus
too :-).  RE71 fit the bill just great.

Looking over the Tire Rack's various data sources, it seems that the best
comparable tire is the P6000.  Other contenders are Yokohamas:

	AVS Intermediate -- signif more expensive; rougher ride
	A509 -- similar price, a bit lower ratings across the board

Does anyone have opinions on this comparison?

Thanks,
		-Mike

'98 e36 323iC
'87 911 Carrera