Re: <E30>How do I refinish metal band around windshield

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Mark Colasante wrote:

> I have a 90 325 iC.  There is a metal band that goes all the way around
> the windshield, and is sandwiched between the two rubber strips that
> also go around the windshield.  The metal band is slightly discolored
	<snip>
Mark,

That "metal band" (BTW, its called a lockstrip -- a metal band would
be something like Motley Crue :=))ain't metal. Its some kinda
nylon-plastic derivative, and that greyish color is its natural state.
When new, they're painted/covered with a chrome-like substance.

The purpose of the lockstrip is to keep tension on the rubber gasket
around your windshield -- i.e. to keep your windshield in.  I can (almost)
guarantee that if you try to remove the lockstrip with the intention of
painting it or whatever, the lockstrip will break (new ones are somewhat
pliable -- as they age, they get brittle). New lockstrips are available
from a number of places (I've gotten them from CNPR, but I'm sure many
people carry them).

Good luck!

- -Jefrem Iwaniw, jiwaniw@domain.elided, '72 2002, '94 525i
 Keller, TX