<E30>How do I refinish metal band around windshield

I have a 90 325 iC.  There is a metal band that goes all the way around
the windshield, and is sandwiched between the two rubber strips that
also go around the windshield.  The metal band is slightly discolored
(grayish instead of black, and very slightly pitted), so I want to
refinish it.  I think this would be best done if the metal band were
removed from the car first.  None of my manuals (Bentley or Haynes)
outline this procedure or windshield removal for that matter.  Does
anyone know how to do it?  Also, what materials would be the best to
refinish it with? (Painting, anodizing, etc.)

Thanks,

Mark Colasante
Columbus, OH
90 325 iC