Re: fuel economy gage, idle problems

John Y. Hung wrote

> I've got an '86 325 with an idle problem - the idle is too high, and
> oscillates (races up and down).
> - -  All rubber boots checked for leaks.
> - -  The idle control valve has been checked, cleaned, and rechecked.
> - -  All electrical diagnostics in the Bentley manual followed and checked
> out (except for checking 02 sensor).
> - -  Idle control unit (electronic box above the glove box) replaced.
>
> The last step helped a little bit, but the idle is still not controlled
> correctly.

Most likely the idle control valve. The electrical test in Bentley
doesn't check the mechanical workings of the valve. They go bad over
time and some don't come back no matter how well you clean it. Another
thing to check is the throttle plate adjustment, per Bentley.

> A possibly related problem - the analog gauge that is supposed to indicate
> 'miles per gallon' no longer works.  The needle is stuck on the far left
> side.

This could be bad NiCad batteries on the Service Indicator pc board. Do
your SI lights operate correctly? The batteries can be replaced, or a
new or rebuilt SI board can be installed.

> Could a bad O2 sensor be the problem?  Know a good source for this part?
> Is it hard to reach/replace?

Probably not the O2 sensor, but if you're still on the original O2
sensor, change it before changing the idle valve (it's way past due) and
see what happens.

> Anybody know of a source for door mirrors?  My driver side glass is
> cracked, and the passenger side glass fell out (don't know why).  I've got
> electric mirrors.

Try: Vines Automotive, 2460 Morgan Road S.E., Bessemer, AL. 35020,
1-800-214-4839 or 1-205-426-2697, fax 1-205-426-2699.

Hope this helps,
Evan  '87 325