fuel economy gage, idle problems

Hi, I'm new to this list.

I've got an '86 325 with an idle problem - the idle is too high, and
oscillates (races up and down).
- -  All rubber boots checked for leaks.
- -  The idle control valve has been checked, cleaned, and rechecked.
- -  All electrical diagnostics in the Bentley manual followed and checked
out (except for checking 02 sensor).
- -  Idle control unit (electronic box above the glove box) replaced.

The last step helped a little bit, but the idle is still not controlled
correctly.

A possibly related problem - the analog gauge that is supposed to indicate
'miles per gallon' no longer works.  The needle is stuck on the far left
side.

Could a bad O2 sensor be the problem?  Know a good source for this part?
Is it hard to reach/replace?

Anybody know of a source for door mirrors?  My driver side glass is
cracked, and the passenger side glass fell out (don't know why).  I've got
electric mirrors.

Thanks,

John Hung
Auburn, AL