Re: Y2K <WOB>

John and everyone, here in California we are repeatedly reminded to
keep some "earthquake supplies", in case our homes are leveled by "the
big one".  A few years ago my wife and I put together a stash of canned
food, water, flashlights, a couple of tools (for turning off the natural gas
supply to the house, etc.), a camp stove, etc.  About once a year (when
we remember!) we rotate stuff out of the supply boxes and re-stock the
boxes.  For people who live elsewhere, even if you don't have
earthquakes, there are plenty of other types of natural disasters
(hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunami, nuclear reactor melt-downs, etc.) that
justify keeping a few supplies on hand, just in case.  This is just common
sense, you should already have whatever you're going to need.

I certainly don't expect the massive problems predicted by the media, but
since I'm prepared to "camp out" (in my house, if necessary!) for a few
days anyway, what's the big deal?  If the banking systems have
glitches, they'll get them fixed pretty quickly and be back in business in a
day or two, if that.  This is no big deal.  If you really think the power
delivery systems are going to shut down at the stroke of midnight (I
don't), just make sure your gas tanks are topped off on New Year's Eve
(gas pumps are electric).  By the time you need more gas in your
Bimmers (obligatory content), the power will be back on.

Remember, the businesses that provide our energy and handle our
money need everything working to enjoy profitability.  They're not going
to sit idly by and let someone else take their business away!  What few
glitches don't get fixed by 12/31/99 will get fixed really quickly, like the
next day.  I think we're all going to be disappointed that the media were
so wrong on this!

Oh, I haven't read today's Digests, but I haven't seen Mr. Landshark
get into this thread yet.  However, when this thread surfaced a few
months ago, Jim C immediately chimed in and assured us that our
Bimmers will continue to run, they are fully Y2K compliant.  Basically, he
said they don't know the date and have no reason to know it.  There,
does everyone feel better now?

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977

>Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:53:54 -0800
>From: "JOHN FAGERLUND" <jrf@domain.elided>
>Subject: re: Y2K <WOB>
>
>Could this just be marketing for bottled water and canned food goods?  I
>don't believe the transition will be seamless, but the crap that is being
>dished out is ridiculous. The media is totally irresponsible in their
>reporting on this one.  Don't be manipulated into thinking the world is
>going to end or buying one of those $10k Y2K survival packages.
<snip>