Re: <E28> '88 535i - "Check Engine" light

I have and '88 535iS, prod date 5/87, and I know there is no "check engine" light at
all on my car.  It was originaly a Texas car that was sold to me in 12/88.  I have
never even heard of a smog inspection that requires the Chk. Eng. light to be looked
at on any E28.  And my checks are here in CA which has the most regressive smog laws
in the union.  I've have heard that some of the E34 were considered '88 model year, so
this may be the confusion to the chk eng light story.  I believe that the E34 have the
above indicator and it does need to get checked at smog time.  Agian, there are no E28
that have the chk eng light.  If you failed a test then the technician is doing
somthing wrong.  I would call your area smog resource center and talk to a ARB(air
resources board) technician to clear up your case.

Take Care,
Russ