RE: <E30> control arm replacement

Brett Anderson writes (regarding replacing E30 control arms in pairs when only
one seems to be bad):

>The only time you would do this is if you have a long trip ahead of you
>and are suspect of it's condition.

Now, I really do not like to disagree with Brett, especially since he has
helped me out on more than one occasion, but here we go!

One caveat -- IF (big if) you are using the car at driver schools (more than
one a year) or club racing your E30, you should replace your control arms at
least once every two years.  Why?  Track failures at a higher than expected
rate.  Bad things happen when that outer ball joint fails.  This was mentioned
in the Roundel last year (I forget which issue).

Since I am preparing my E30 325iS for club racing, this was one of the first
things that I did.

So, other than the above listed (rare) exception, Brett is spot on again!

Regards,

Kirk Lachman, VP
Sin City Chapter