Re: Early E34 CD players

>David writes:
>>
>> > DB Harrison wrote;
>> > "I spent the last month looking for a CD unit for my 1990 535i.
>>Apparently
>> > none are to be found. "   (big snip)

I'm getting old and my memory banks are overloaded but it seems that the
early E34 decks (KE83zbm Pioneer (+) (-) (Mode) at lower right corner) took
the big Pioneer changer.  I've got one and the head unit that controls it.
(not for sale)  I believe you can also use the Pioneer CDX-M30 unit from
most Pioneer dealers (yes Crutchfield sells it but their better deals on
this unit are in their outlet in my home town from which they will not take
mail orders).  With this unit the data cable that comes with it must be
used to run to the head unit as the changer end is a totally different
plug.  Great if your BMW is not prewired.  You cannot use it with the
infra-red slot tuning radio (CM5908 Alpine) which requires the BMW/Alpine
unit.  It was very unusual for an E34 or E32 to come with the "slot" unit.
All my stuff is packed away in boxes, including tech bulletins from that
era and the radio, but if it would be helpful, ask a question and I'll try
to dig out an answer.

Remember:  If it ain't got 6 preset buttons, it ain't CD-Ready!

- -Phil Marx  BMWCCA #6021