     Subject: Re: Y2K
     Author:  jim.powell@domain.elided at Internet_TCO
     Date:    1/1/99 1:32 PM

     From: DTAHT@domain.elided asks

     I was at the press preview of the M5 in L.A. this week and during the Q&A
     sessions, someone asked if BMW computers will be having problems with the
     upcoming year 2000.   Vic Doolan insisted no problems, but has anyone out
     there heard otherwise from BMW technical people?  I would suppose the
     latest models, E38, E39, E46 should be ok, but what about the older cars?
     <<<

     Why would your car need to know the date?  It has it on the clock for
     your convenience, although if you don't know what year it is, maybe
     you should hand over the car keys and through that shawl over your
     legs.

     Vic Doolan was being nice to the guy in LA.  I was there.  He was
     trying real hard not to piss his pants over the question.

     Lets get this out of the way.  The Y2K problem is when computers do
     math with years that contain 2 digits and ASSUME ('cause they don't
     know) its still the same century.  So in the case of Social Security
     for example if you are 65 years old and want to start collecting, the
     computer subtracts your birth year '34 from '99 and gets 65.  Bingo!
     All is right with the world.  Now lets suppose you haven't fixed this
     problem and the computer still uses 2 digit years and its the year
     2000.  '00 minus '35 (new 65 eligibility birthday) is TADA! -35.  The
     computer is a dumb pile of metal and plastic.  It thinks you are -35
     years old.  You ain't gettin' no check pup-dog.  Now you can solve
     this by storing years with 4 digits or adding 100 after you do the
     math (-35+100=65).

     Your car's computer only counts pulses and integrates readings from
     sensors.  Its in its own little world and doesn't give a flip what
     year it is for you or your retirement account.  Got it?

     Jim