Re: <E28> Radio **Rob

Tracy Mathews <bmwfreak@domain.elided> wrote:
>Subject: <E28> Radio
>
>I'm looking for input on replacing the stock radio in my 86 528e.  I
>am going to put an in-dash CD player in, nothing fancy, just a decent
>replacement for stock.

        If I were doing it (and I have, quite a few times), I would run new
wires to all four speakers.  Forget the 13-year-old amp and wiring.

Some important tips for installing a new radio in an E28:

1) Run the power from the cigarette lighter.  Reason: the stock radio power
is also the power feed to other electricity-hungry parts of your car and
will not take the load of a CD-player with built-in amp.  You'll find that
if you have your headlights on, hit the brake lights while lowering your
window (sounds like approaching a toll at night, doesn't it?) that your CD
player will cut out due to insufficient power.  The cigarette lighter is on
its own circuit and is not in use at all by anything else.

2) Replace the speakers with modern units.  Even if you have the "Premium
Sound" speakers (dual-element front and rear), they are still ancient OE
units.  With the original speakers, your new radio will sound exactly the
same as your old one.  With new speakers (even - gasp - Radio Shack!) you
will enjoy much better musical fidelity.

3) Consider cutting openings in the parcel shelf right below the rear
speakers.  Speakers need an air chamber to produce good sound and the OE
setup is sealed right under the speakers.

- - Rob Levinson
Getting my fourth E28 this week.

www.shortshifter.com