re: <E28> ABS Problems **Rob

Link wrote:

>>From: lmoser@domain.elided
>>Subject: E28: ABS Problems

>>The ABS light comes on my '86 528e at 50MPH.

Larry correctly replies:

>Hi, Link!  I believe you have gummy teeth.  To elaborate, the
>ABS sensors are getting bad signals, due to scum that accumulates
>in the toothed, gear-like sensor on each wheel...
>To address this possibility, pop the wheels, then pull the rotors on
>each wheel (I strongly advise having new 5mm hex screws on hand!)
>so you can get to the sensor wheel.  Wire brush clean.  Then
>remove the ABS sensor from the back of each wheel; I think it is
>a 5mm allen.  Clean the metal scum off the tip of the sensor.
>Do to all 4 wheels.

        If you just want to do a visual check, the rear wheels are easy...
you don't have to remove anything at all.  Get the car lifted up and you can
see the ABS teeth on the hubs and either clean them or determine that they
are rusty (too far-gone and they are toast - thanks to Brett Anderson for
that info!).

- - Rob Levinson

www.shortshifter.com