Re: <e30> jack points

I'm new to the digest but I'm sure someone will kindly correct me if I
breach protocol.

>Jack asks
>------------------------------
>at the risk of starting this thread again, i would like to know if there
are
>safe points to jack up my '89iX front and rear instead of single corner

I don't have an ix but I have a E30 325is and I used to have a plan vanilla
325. I jack the car up using a decent floor jack as follows:

At the front there is a subframe under the rear of the engine. It's quite
small and surrounded by expensive things that floorjacks can seriously
deform. On a 2WD car it is located behind the oil pan and the steering rack.
Place the jack under the frame member and jack carefully. Check with a
trouble light that the jack is not touching the steering rack. If the jack
is near the oil pan this is bad too, not only could you damage the pan but
you're a long way from way you want to be and should consider professional
help.

As you jack carefully you will hear a few ominous creaking sounds. There is
a protective cover attached to the back of the subframe it is thin sheet
metal and my jack usually crunches it a bit. I have never had a problem from
this slight deformity, however, the car is no longer concours.

Once the car is in the air be careful as it is balanced on the jack and can
be tipped over with expensive and uncomfortable results. Place a good
quality jack stand under each side of the car. I usually place them under
the frame channels behind the wheels. Voila the front is raised.

Now an ix is going to have more stuff under the front, driveshafts, transfer
case etc. But in there somewhere will be a subframe, has to be one. In
general look for something flat and strong that is not an aluminum casting.
Be careful.

At the back I put the jack under the diff and go for it. Same rules apply,
the car is easily tipped so get some jack stands underneath (use the
outboard ends of the rear subframe).

- --
>What I've done in the rear of my E30 325e (somebody please tell me if this
>is bad) is put a block of wood between the jack and the differential and
>jacked the whole rear up by the differential

Use a good jack, one with a decent track and good saddle. I don't like to
use wood as it really complicates things if it splits and falls out in the
middle of a crucial manouver. The saddle on your jack will scratch and
scrape a bit but the diff is cast iron and the subframes are stamped steel
so you'll have to work at it to do some real damage.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Roberts

'88 325is
'68 2002 race car