Re: Year 2K problems for BMWs?

From: DTAHT@domain.elided <DTAHT@domain.elided>

>I was at the press preview of the M5 in L.A. this week and during the Q&A
>sessions, someone asked if BMW computers will be having problems with the
>upcoming year 2000.   Vic Doolan insisted no problems, but has anyone out
>there heard otherwise from BMW technical people?  I would suppose the
latest
>models, E38, E39, E46 should be ok, but what about the older cars?

I would think BMW has bigger problems making sure their factories can keep
making and shipping automobiles than the problems of cars malfunctioning in
the year 2000. Unless they did something on purpose, it is unlikely your car
is going to care what millenia/century/year it is, except to report back to
the service technicians that it is now (surprise!) 1900. Will the equipment
care? Probably not. Could it be a problem? Yes. Can it be dealt with? Of
course. As far as engines stopping at midnight, I would be surprised.

The big problems in manufacturing are the many systems that have been
identified, tested, (and fixed perhaps) and declared "Year 2000 Compliant".
It is difficult to test all the systems in an integrated environment and
determine  if they will all work together, and many manufacturing companies
are focusing on keeping business as usual functioning. Another priority will
be to develop contingency plans, should Plan A not succeed. Shutting down
factories to fix problems that keep machines from running is probably (or
should be!) a big concern of companies like BMW.