Re: double clutching: collective digest wisdom

At 04:34 PM 12/30/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Several people asked, so here's a summary of what
>the digest says about double clutching:

(snip)

Isn't it meant to speed up an intermediate shaft or something?

Sometime ago I was reading something about truckers. Apparently trucks (big
rig flavor) don't have synchro's. Apparently some trucking companies won't
hire drivers who don't double clutch. Apparently some truckers think this
is assanine and claim to not use the clutch at all, just shift at exactly
the right rpm.

If truckers are such good drivers, why do I keep finding myself slowing
down and flashing my highs for a truck to get into the left lane and it
turns out he just forgot to turn his blinkers off.

Oh, talking about blinkers. It really irks me that nobody in south jersey
seems to use their blinkers. Is that the same round where you live? I saw a
cop today making a right turn without blinkers. I'm sure it was a habit
with him. Wished I could ticket *him*. I don't want to offend anyone, but
police around here seem out to get you, not to protect you. They seem to
have strange priorities. Generally, alert drivers get punished for
speeding, not the bad drivers for not indicating, shifting lanes without
looking, stopping on an on-ramp, drifting all over the lanes, generally not
paying attention, doing other stupid stuff etc. Uh, sorry guys. Stay cool
(should be easy at these temperatures).

Michiel