re;double clutching

I was also familiar with the heel-toe downshift technique to match
engine revs and keep car rear-end in line, but wondered why
double-clutching until I read Going Faster, Mastering the Art of Race
Driving from the Skip Barber School. Quoting from page 93: "You let the
clutch out, and then, still in neutral, you blip the throttle. Since,
with the clutch engaged, the motor is connected to the input shaft, your
blip easily spins up the shaft to the higher RPM."  Continuing from page
97 (mistakes: keeping the clutch dipped): "When the engine isn't
connected to the input shaft of the transmission, ...the blip is not as
effective as speeding up the input shaft. Danny Sullivan goes on to say
in one of the text boxes: "I never double clutched in my life. I always
blip on the downshift and use the clutch to go down...but I don't
necessarily let the clutch out in neutral." Author's note: "...the
single clutch works if you blip higher than you would if you engage the
clutch in neutral."

cheers,
steve c.