double clutching: collective digest wisdom

Several people asked, so here's a summary of what
the digest says about double clutching:

1. one digester has heard others say the revs go
up faster (blipping throttle on downshift) with
the clutch halfway out (shifter in neutral)

2. one guy says it saves wear on the synchros,
more so than heel-toe alone (explanation goes over
my head though).

3. at least one professional racer says he never
did it and it didn't hurt him

4. one digester said double clutching makes a
tough 4th to 2nd shift much easier versus just
heel-toe; it goes into gear much smoother (this is
on track under max braking from 100 to 30 for
hairpin). some of you may want to try this if
you're having this problem on your commute to
work.

5. one digester does it but has no idea why (hey,
I would too if that's how I learned to drive).

6. several digesters think it is completely
unnecessary unless you're driving a really old car
(like pre 1960s) or race car; these lack
synchronizers in the gearbox.

7. lotsa people drive really damn fast and shift
very smoothly despite not double clutching.

8. James Bond double clutches. (or double
de-clutches as the british say).